Future Grid Lab
Mr Valentin Muenzel
PhD research project: Improved system layouts and management strategies for large lithium-ion battery packs
Large lithium-ion battery packs, as used e.g. in electric vehicles and stationary energy storage, contain from tens to thousands of individual cells. In his research, Valentin is proposing novel approaches of structuring and managing the cells in these packs. This task includes both analytical and experimental work on battery cells and packs. The goal is to increase the packs’ useful energy capacity, to increase resilience to cell failure, and to reduce pack weight.
Supporting Partner Organisation(s)
Australian Research Council via a Linkage Grant
IBM Research – Australia
- V. Muenzel, I. Mareels; “Battery Balancing System and Method”; University of Melbourne; Australian Patent Office, provisional patent filed Aug 2012.
- V. Muenzel, I. Mareels; “Battery Balancing System and Method”; University of Melbourne; Australian Patent Office, PCT filed Aug 2013.
- J. de Hoog, V. Muenzel, D. Jayasuriya, Tansu Alpcan, M. Brazil, D. Thomas, I. Mareels, G. Dahlenburg, R. Jegatheesan; “The importance of spatial distribution when analysing the impact of electric vehicles on voltage stability in distribution networks”; Springer Energy Systems, Apr. 2014.
- I. Mareels, J. de Hoog, D. Thomas, M. Brazil, T. Alpcan, D. Jayasuriya, V. Muenzel, L. Xia, R. Kolluri; “Integrating electric vehicles into a low voltage distribution network”; Annual Reviews in Control, vol. tbc, 2014.
- V. Muenzel, A.F. Hollenkamp, J. de Hoog, M. Brazil, D. Thomas, A. Bhatt, I. Mareels; “A comparison study of commercial 18650-format lithium-Ion battery cells”; tbc., submitted Oct. 2014.
- V. Muenzel, J. de Hoog, M. Brazil, D. Thomas, I. Mareels; “Battery management using secondary loads: a novel integrated approach”; Proc. IFAC World Congress; Cape Town, South Africa; Aug. 2014.
- J. de Hoog, D. Thomas, V. Muenzel, Tansu Alpcan, M. Brazil, I. Mareels; “Electric vehicle charging and grid constraints: comparing distributed and centralised approaches”; Proc. IEEE PES GM ; Vancouver, Canada; Jul. 2013.
- V. Muenzel, J. de Hoog, M. Brazil, D. Thomas, I. Mareels; “Modeling reversible self-discharge in series-connected Li-ion battery cells”; Proc. IEEE Tencon Spring; Sydney, Australia; Apr. 2013.
- V. Muenzel, J. de Hoog, I. Mareels, A. Vishwanath, S. Kalyanaraman, A. Gort; “PV generation and demand mismatch: evaluating the potential of residential storage”; Proc. IEEE PES ISGT 2015, paper submitted in Aug. 2014.
- V. Muenzel, other authors tbc; “ An advanced cycle life prediction methodology for lithium-ion batteries”; Proc. Int. Electric Vehicle Symposium 2015, accepted.
- V. Muenzel, J. de Hoog, I. Mareels, A. Vishwanath, S. Kalyanaraman; “Affordable batteries for green energy are closer than we think”; The Conversation - online; Jul 2014. https://theconversation.com/affordable-batteries-for-green-energy-are-closer-than-we-think-28772
- V. Muenzel; “Battery technology and the electric car”, Radio Adelaide 101.5 FM – on air and online; Jul 2014. https://radio.adelaide.edu.au/battery-technology-and-the-electric-car/