Professor Jonathan Manton
- Differential Geometry
- Signal Processing
- Systems Biology
- Systems Neuroscience
Professor Jonathan Manton holds a distinguished Chair at the University of Melbourne with the title Future Generation Professor. He is also an Adjunct Professor in the Mathematical Sciences Institute at the Australian National University. He is a Fellow of the Australian Mathematical Society (FAustMS) and a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (FIEEE).
Professor Jonathan Manton received his Bachelor of Science (mathematics) and Bachelor of Engineering (electrical) degrees in 1995 and his Ph.D. degree in 1998, all from the University of Melbourne, Australia. From 1998 to 2004, he was with the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne. During that time, he held a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship then subsequently a Queen Elizabeth II Fellowship, both from the Australian Research Council.
In 2005 he became a full Professor in the Department of Information Engineering, Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering (RSISE) at the Australian National University. From July 2006 till May 2008, he was on secondment to the Australian Research Council as Executive Director, Mathematics, Information and Communication Sciences. Professor Jonathan Manton's traditional research interests range from pure mathematics (e.g. commutative algebra, algebraic geometry, differential geometry) to engineering (e.g. signal processing, wireless communications). Recently though, led by a desire to participate in the convergence of the life sciences and the mathematical sciences, he has started to apply his expertise to research in neuroscience. Professor Jonathan Manton also has extensive experience in software development.
Prof. Jonathan Manton received a 2009 Future Summit Australian Leadership Award in recognition of "outstanding achievements and commitment to playing a leading role in shaping the future of Australia."
- Khatibi S, Zhu H-J, Wagner J, Tan CW, Manton J, Burgess AW. Mathematical model of TGF-beta signalling: feedback coupling is consistent with signal switching. BMC SYSTEMS BIOLOGY. Biomed Central. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 1.
- Said S, Bombrun L, Berthoumieu Y, Manton J. Riemannian Gaussian Distributions on the Space of Symmetric Positive Definite Matrices. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION THEORY. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017, Vol. 63, Issue 4.
- Kuhlmann L, Manton J, Heyse B, Vereecke HEM, Lipping T, Struys MMRF, Liley D. Tracking Electroencephalographic Changes Using Distributions of Linear Models: Application to Propofol-Based Depth of Anesthesia Monitoring. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 64, Issue 4.
- Le Bihan N, Flamant J, Manton J. Density estimation on the rotation group using diffusive wavelets. Journal of Advances in Information Fusion. International Society of Information Fusion (ISIF). 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 2.
- Flamant J, Le Bihan N, Martin A, Manton J. Expansion-maximization-compression algorithm with spherical harmonics for single particle imaging with x-ray lasers. PHYSICAL REVIEW E. American Physical Society. 2016, Vol. 93, Issue 5.
- Boulanger J, Said S, Le Bihan N, Manton J. Filtering from observations on Stiefel manifolds. SIGNAL PROCESSING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 122.
- Le Bihan N, Chatelain F, Manton J. Isotropic Multiple Scattering Processes on Hyperspheres. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION THEORY. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 62, Issue 10.
- Fernandez-Ruiz D, Ng W, Holz L, Ma J, Zaid A, Wong YC, Lau LS, Mollard V, Cozijnsen A, Collins N, Li J, Davey G, Kato Y, Devi S, Skandari R, Pauley M, Manton J, Godfrey D, Braun A, Tay SS, Tan PS, Bowen DG, Koch-Nolte F, Rissiek B, Carbone F, Crabb B, Lahoud M, Cockburn IA, Mueller S, Bertolino P, McFadden G, Caminschi I, Heath W. Liver-Resident Memory CD8(+) T Cells Form a Front-Line Defense against Malaria Liver-Stage Infection. IMMUNITY. Cell Press. 2016, Vol. 45, Issue 4.
- Flamant J, Le Bihan N, Martin AV, Manton J. LOW-RESOLUTION RECONSTRUCTION OF INTENSITY FUNCTIONS ON THE SPHERE FOR SINGLE-PARTICLE DIFFRACTION IMAGING. 2016 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ACOUSTICS, SPEECH AND SIGNAL PROCESSING PROCEEDINGS. IEEE. 2016, Vol. 2016-May.
- Kuhlmann L, Freestone D, Manton J, Heyse B, Vereecke HEM, Lipping T, Struys MMRF, Liley D. Neural mass model-based tracking of anesthetic brain states. NEUROIMAGE. Academic Press. 2016, Vol. 133.
- Skandari R, Iino Y, Manton J. On an Analogue Signal Processing Circuit in the Nematode C. elegans. 2016 38TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 2016-October. Editors: Patton J, Barbieri R, Ji J, Jabbari E, Dokos S, Mukkamala R, Guiraud D, Jovanov E, Dhaher Y, Panescu D, Vangils M, Wheeler B, Dhawan AP.
- Cao C, Wang Z, Zukerman M, Manton J, Bensoussan A, Wang Y. Optimal Cable Laying Across an Earthquake Fault Line Considering Elliptical Failures. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON RELIABILITY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 65, Issue 3.
- Said S, Manton J. Particle filtering with observations in a manifold: A proof of convergence and two worked examples. Journal of Advances in Information Fusion. International Society of Information Fusion (ISIF). 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 2.
- Selvaratnam DD, Shames I, Ristic B, Manton J. The Effect of Sensor Modality on Posterior Cramer-Rao Bounds for Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping. 9th IFAC Symposium on Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles (IAV). 2016, Vol. 49, Issue 15.
- Manton J. A framework for generalising the Newton method and other iterative methods from Euclidean space to manifolds. NUMERISCHE MATHEMATIK. Springer. 2015, Vol. 129, Issue 1.
Level: 05 Room: 5.3
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83444974
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile