Associate Professor Marcus Brazil
- Infrastructure for Electric Vehicles (EVs, Power Distribution Grid, Smart Grid, Green Energy)
- Network Optimisation (Minimum cost networks, Steiner Trees)
- Underground Mine Planning (Mining, Access Design, Optimisation)
- Wireless Sensor Networks - Localisation and Deployment (Relay deployment, Sensor deployment, relay placement)
A/Prof Marcus Brazil is an Associate Professor and Reader in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He studied English and Mathematics as an undergraduate at The University of Melbourne, and received a Ph.D. in Mathematics (in the field of Computational and Geometric Group Theory) from La Trobe University in 1995.
Currently, his main research interest is in Optimal Network Design with applications to Telecommunications, Wireless Sensor Networks, VLSI Physical Design, Underground Mining, and Infrastructure for Electric Vehicles. He also combines this with more theoretical work, particularly in the area of Steiner Trees. His research and consultancy work in optimisation for underground mine design has been particularly successful, having received strong support from a number of Industry bodies such as BHP Billiton and Newmont Australia Ltd. He is also a founder and director of the company MineOptima.
- De Hoog J, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. A Market Mechanism for Electric Vehicle Charging Under Network Constraints. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 2.
- Brazil M, Ras C, Thomas D. An exact algorithm for the bottleneck 2-connected k-Steiner network problem in L-p planes. DISCRETE APPLIED MATHEMATICS. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 201.
- Whittle D, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Determining the open pit to underground transition: A review of existing methods and a proposed new method. 7th International Conference & Exhibition on Mass Mining. AusIMM. 2016.
- Andres J, De Hoog J, Von Kanel J, Berk J, Le B, Wang X, Brazil M, Mueller FF. Exploring Human - eBike Interaction to Support Rider Autonomy. 3rd ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI PLAY). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Sirinanda K, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Gradient-constrained discounted Steiner trees I: optimal tree configurations. JOURNAL OF GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION. Springer. 2016, Vol. 64, Issue 3.
- Sirinanda K, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Gradient-constrained discounted Steiner trees II: optimally locating a discounted Steiner point. JOURNAL OF GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION. Springer. 2016, Vol. 64, Issue 3.
- Muenzel V, Hollenkamp AF, Bhatt AI, De Hoog J, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. A Comparative Testing Study of Commercial 18650-Format Lithium-Ion Battery Cells. JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY. Electrochemical Society. 2015, Vol. 162, Issue 8.
- Muenzel V, De Hoog J, Brazil M, Vishwanath A, Kalyanaraman S. A multi-factor battery cycle life prediction methodology for optimal battery management. e-Energy 2015 - Proceedings of the 2015 ACM 6th International Conference on Future Energy Systems. 2015.
- Muenzel V, Hollenkamp AF, Bhatt AI, De Hoog J, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. Comment on "A Comparative Testing Study of Commercial 18650-Format Lithium-Ion Battery Cells" J. Electrochem. Soc., 162, A1592 (2015). JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY. Electrochemical Society. 2015, Vol. 162, Issue 12.
- Brazil M, Ras C, Swanepoel KJ, Thomas D. Generalised k-Steiner Tree Problems in Normed Planes. ALGORITHMICA. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 71, Issue 1.
- Xia L, De Hoog J, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. Local measurements and virtual pricing signals for residential demand side management. Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks. 2015, Vol. 4.
- Sirinanda K, Brazil M, Grossman P, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Maximizing the net present value of a Steiner tree. JOURNAL OF GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION. Springer. 2015, Vol. 62, Issue 2.
- Xia L, Alpcan T, Mareels I, Brazil M, De Hoog J, Thomas D. Modelling Voltage-Demand Relationship on Power Distribution Grid for Distributed Demand Management. 2015 5TH AUSTRALIAN CONTROL CONFERENCE (AUCC). IEEE. 2015.
- De Hoog J, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. Optimal Charging of Electric Vehicles Taking Distribution Network Constraints Into Account. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 30, Issue 1.
- Chang AJ, Brazil M, Rubinstein J, Thomas D. Optimal curvature and gradient-constrained directional cost paths in 3-space. JOURNAL OF GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION. Springer. 2015, Vol. 62, Issue 3.
Level: 05 Room: 5.11
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83443829
F: +61 3 83446678
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile