Professor Rod Tucker
- Broadband Internet access networks
- Internet technologies
- Optical fibre telecommunications
- Photonics devices and circuits
- Sustainability of telecommunications and the Internet
Rod Tucker is a Laureate Professor at The University of Melbourne. He is Director of the Institute for a Broadband-Enabled Society (IBES) and Director of the Centre for Ultra-Broadband Information Networks (CUBIN) in The University of Melbourne’s Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
Professor Tucker has been named in Engineers Australia’s list of the 100 Most Influential Engineers for 2010. Sponsored by Engineers Australia, the list aims to acknowledge engineers who have a positive influence on society.
He has held positions at the University of Queensland, the University of California, Berkeley, Cornell University, Plessey Research, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Hewlett Packard Laboratories and Agilent Technologies.
He is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science, a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering and a Fellow of the IEEE. He received the BEng and PhD degrees from the University of Melbourne, in 1969 and 1975, respectively. In 1997 he was awarded the Australia Prize for his contributions to telecommunications.
- Tucker R, Ruffini M, Valcarenghi L, Campelo DR, Simeonidou D, Du L, Marinescu M-C, Middleton C, Yin S, Forde T, Bourg K, Dai E, Harstead E, Chanclou P, Roberts H, Jungnickel V, Figuerola S, Takahara T, Yadav R, Vetter P, Khotimsky DA, Wey JS. Connected OFCity: Technology Innovations for a Smart City Project. JOURNAL OF OPTICAL COMMUNICATIONS AND NETWORKING. OSA - Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Tucker R. Energy limitations in data transmission and switching. 2016 21ST OPTOELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE (OECC) HELD JOINTLY WITH 2016 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PHOTONICS IN SWITCHING (PS). IEEE. 2016.
- Jalali F, Hinton K, Ayre R, Alpcan T, Tucker R. Fog Computing May Help to Save Energy in Cloud Computing. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 5.
- Vishwanath A, Jalali F, Hinton K, Alpcan T, Ayre R, Tucker R. Energy Consumption Comparison of Interactive Cloud-Based and Local Applications. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 33, Issue 4.
- Gray C, Ayre R, Hinton K, Tucker R. Power Consumption of IoT Access Network Technologies. 2015 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMMUNICATION WORKSHOP. IEEE. 2015.
- Gopala Krishna Pillai BS, Sedighi B, Guan K, Anthapadmanabhan P, Shieh W, Hinton K, Tucker R. End-to-End Energy Modeling and Analysis of Long-Haul Coherent Transmission Systems. Journal of Lightwave Technology. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2014, Vol. 32, Issue 18.
- Jalali F, Ayre R, Vishwanath A, Hinton K, Alpcan T, Tucker R. Energy consumption of content distribution from nano data centers versus centralized data centers. Performance Evaluation Review. Association for Computing Machinery. 2014, Vol. 42, Issue 3.
- Jalali F, Gray C, Vishwanath A, Ayre R, Alpcan T, Hinton K, Tucker R. Energy Consumption of Photo Sharing in Online Social Networks. 14th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid). IEEE. 2014. Editors: Balaji P, Foster I, Sun XH, Cameron KW, Nikolopoulos DS.
- Vishwanath A, Hinton K, Ayre R, Tucker R. Modeling Energy Consumption in High-Capacity Routers and Switches. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2014, Vol. 32, Issue 8.
- Tucker R. Australia's (less super) superhighway. IEEE Spectrum. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2013, Vol. 50, Issue 12.
- Vishwanath A, Jalali F, Ayre R, Alpcan T, Hinton K, Tucker R. Energy Consumption of Interactive Cloud-Based Document Processing Applications. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC). IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2013.
- Sedighi B, Li J, Lee K, Gambini S, Chow H, Tucker R. Energy-Efficient Optical Links: Optimal Launch Power. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2013, Vol. 25, Issue 17.
- Kilper DC, Tucker R. Energy-Efficient Telecommunications. Optical Fiber Telecommunications Volume VIB: Systems and Networks. Academic Press. 2013. Editors: Kaminow I, Li T, Willner A.
- Vishwanath A, Zhu J, Hinton K, Ayre R, Tucker R. Estimating the Energy Consumption for Packet Processing, Storage and Switching in Optical-IP Routers. Optical Fiber Communication Conference and Exposition and the National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference (OFC/NFOEC). IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2013.
- Gopala Krishna Pillai BS, Sedighi B, Shieh W, Tucker R. Chromatic dispersion compensation - an energy consumption perspective. 2012 combined meeting of the Conference on Optical Fiber Communication (OFC) and the National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference (NFOEC). OSA - Optical Society of America. 2012.
Level: 04 Room: 4.10
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83447688
F: +61 3 83443823
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile