Professor Ampalavanapillai Nirmalathas
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Communications,Internet, Broadband Access Networks, Optical networks, Transmission systems (Optical communications, Photonics, Microwave photonics, Terahertz photonics)
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Professor Thas (Ampalavanapillai) Nirmalathas
Professor Thas Nirmalathas is the Director of Melbourne Networked Society Institute which is an interdisciplinary research institutes focusing on challenges and opportunities arising from society's transition to a networked society. He also provides the academic leadership to the Melbourne Accelerator Programs (MAP) which he co-founded to support entrepreneurial activities of the University Community through business acceleration models.
Prof Nirmalathas obtained his BEng and PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 1993 and 1998 respectively. Between 2000 and 2004, he was the Director of Photonics Research Laboratory (Melbourne Node of Australian Photonics CRC) and also the Program Leader of Telecommunications Technologies Program. From 2004 to 2006, he was the Program Leader for the Network Technologies Research Program in NICTA. He was also the acting Lab Director of VRL in 2007. Between 2006 and 2008, He was the Research Group Manager of the Networked Systems Group of Victoria Research Laboratory (VRL) at the National ICT Australia (NICTA), a premier Australian research centre of excellence in ICT. Between 2010 and 2012, he was the Head, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne
He has written more than 400 technical articles and currently hold 2 active international patents and 1 provisional patent application in the process. His research interests include microwave photonics, optical-wireless network integration, broadband networks, and scalability of telecom and Internet services.
He has serviced as chair of steering committees of Asia Pacific Microwave Photonics and IEEE Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics Conference series in 2008/2009. He is also a member of the Steering Committee for the International Conference on Optical Internet (COIN). He was also Guest Editor for Special Issue on Opto-Electronics and Communications of the IEICE Transactions in Communications. He was the General Co-Chair of 2008 IEEE Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics/ Asia Pacific Microwave Photonics 2008. He is currently an Associate Editor of IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, a member of Optical Society of America and a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia.
- Al-Dirini F, Mohammed MA, Hossain F, Nirmalathas A, Skafidas E. All-Graphene Planar Double-Quantum-Dot Resonant Tunneling Diodes. IEEE JOURNAL OF THE ELECTRON DEVICES SOCIETY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 4, Issue 1.
- Song T, Wang K, Ma J, Nirmalathas A. Experimental Demonstration of Optical Wireless Personal Area Communication System Supporting Multiple Users. 2016 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION (OFC). IEEE. 2016.
- Wang K, Gao S, Wang Y, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. Four-Wave-Mixing-Based Silicon Integrated Optical Isolator With Dynamic Non-Reciprocity. IEEE PHOTONICS TECHNOLOGY LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 16.
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. Full-Duplex Gigabit Indoor Optical Wireless Communication System With CAP Modulation. IEEE PHOTONICS TECHNOLOGY LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 7.
- Lim C, Wang K, Nirmalathas A. High-Speed Optical Wireless Communications for In-Building Personal Area Networks (Invited). 2016 IEEE 6TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PHOTONICS (ICP). IEEE. 2016.
- Wijesundera I, Halgamuge M, Nirmalathas A, Nanayakkara T. MFPT calculation for random walks in inhomogeneous networks. PHYSICA A-STATISTICAL MECHANICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS. Elsevier BV. 2016, Vol. 462.
- Al-Dirini F, Hossain F, Mohammed MA, Hossain M, Nirmalathas A, Skafidas E. Monolayer MoS2 self-switching diodes. JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS. American Institute of Physics. 2016, Vol. 119, Issue 4.
- Wijesundera I, Halgamuge M, Nanayakkara T, Nirmalathas A. Natural Disasters, When Will They Reach Me?. . Springer. 2016.
- Yan M, Chan C, Li W, I C-L, Bian S, Gygax A, Leckie C, Hinton K, Wong E, Nirmalathas A. Network Energy Consumption Assessment of Conventional Mobile Services and Over-the-Top Instant Messaging Applications. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 12.
- Lim C, Wang K, Nirmalathas A. Optical Wireless Communications for High-Speed In-Building Personal Area Networks. 18th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON). IEEE. 2016, Vol. 2016-August.
- Ranaweera C, Wong E, Lim C, Jayasundara C, Nirmalathas A. Optimal design and backhauling of small-cell network: Implication of energy cost. 2016 21st OptoElectronics and Communications Conference, OECC 2016 - Held Jointly with 2016 International Conference on Photonics in Switching, PS 2016. 2016.
- Khandokar RH, Bakaul M, Skafidas E, Nirmalathas A, Asaduzzaman M. Performance of Planar, Rib, and Photonic Crystal Silicon Waveguides in Tailoring Group-Velocity Dispersion and Mode Loss. IEEE JOURNAL OF SELECTED TOPICS IN QUANTUM ELECTRONICS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 22, Issue 2.
- Novak D, Waterhouse RB, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Gamage PA, Clark TR, Dennis ML, Nanzer JA. Radio-Over-Fiber Technologies for Emerging Wireless Systems. IEEE JOURNAL OF QUANTUM ELECTRONICS. IEE Institute of Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 52, Issue 1.
- Bakaul M, Islam A, Nirmalathas A. Recent Progresses in Gigabit Wireless Access Using Millimetre-wave RoFs (Invited). 2016 IEEE 6TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PHOTONICS (ICP). IEEE. 2016.
- Lim C, Lee K, Nirmalathas A. Review of physical layer networking for optical-wireless integration. OPTICAL ENGINEERING. International Society for Optical Engineering. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 3.
Level: 04 Room: 4.4
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83445789
F: +61 3 83447412
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile