Professor Ampalavanapillai Nirmalathas
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Communications,Internet, Broadband Access Networks, Optical networks, Transmission systems (Optical communications, Photonics, Microwave photonics, Terahertz photonics)
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Professor Thas (Ampalavanapillai) Nirmalathas
Professor Thas Nirmalathas is the Director of Melbourne Networked Society Institute which is an interdisciplinary research institutes focusing on challenges and opportunities arising from society's transition to a networked society. He also provides the academic leadership to the Melbourne Accelerator Programs (MAP) which he co-founded to support entrepreneurial activities of the University Community through business acceleration models.
Prof Nirmalathas obtained his BEng and PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 1993 and 1998 respectively. Between 2000 and 2004, he was the Director of Photonics Research Laboratory (Melbourne Node of Australian Photonics CRC) and also the Program Leader of Telecommunications Technologies Program. From 2004 to 2006, he was the Program Leader for the Network Technologies Research Program in NICTA. He was also the acting Lab Director of VRL in 2007. Between 2006 and 2008, He was the Research Group Manager of the Networked Systems Group of Victoria Research Laboratory (VRL) at the National ICT Australia (NICTA), a premier Australian research centre of excellence in ICT. Between 2010 and 2012, he was the Head, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne
He has written more than 400 technical articles and currently hold 2 active international patents and 1 provisional patent application in the process. His research interests include microwave photonics, optical-wireless network integration, broadband networks, and scalability of telecom and Internet services.
He has serviced as chair of steering committees of Asia Pacific Microwave Photonics and IEEE Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics Conference series in 2008/2009. He is also a member of the Steering Committee for the International Conference on Optical Internet (COIN). He was also Guest Editor for Special Issue on Opto-Electronics and Communications of the IEICE Transactions in Communications. He was the General Co-Chair of 2008 IEEE Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics/ Asia Pacific Microwave Photonics 2008. He is currently an Associate Editor of IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, a member of Optical Society of America and a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia.
- Ranaweera C, Wong E, Nirmalathas A, Jayasundara C, Lim C. 5G C-RAN Architecture: A Comparison of Multiple Optical Fronthaul Networks. 2017 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON OPTICAL NETWORK DESIGN AND MODELING (ONDM). IEEE. 2017.
- Tian Y, Lee K, Lim C, Nirmalathas A. 60 GHz Analog Radio-Over-Fiber Fronthaul Investigations. JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 19.
- Tian Y, Song S, Powell K, Lee K, Lim C, Nirmalathas A, Yi X. A 60-GHz Radio-Over-Fiber Fronthaul Using Integrated Microwave Photonics Filters. IEEE PHOTONICS TECHNOLOGY LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 19.
- Wang K, Song T, Liang T, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. A Dual-Infrared-Transmitter Optical Wireless Based Indoor User Localization System with High Accuracy. 2017 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION (OFC). IEEE. 2017.
- Ghanbari M, Tsai JM, Nirmalathas A, Muller R, Gambini S. An Energy-Efficient Miniaturized Intracranial Pressure Monitoring System. IEEE JOURNAL OF SOLID-STATE CIRCUITS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017, Vol. 52, Issue 3.
- Halgamuge M, Nirmalathas A. Analysis of large flood events: Based on flood data during 1985–2016 in Australia and India. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 24.
- Khandokar M, Bakaul M, Asaduzzaman M, Skafidas E, Nirmalathas A. Characterization of geometry and depleting carrier dependence of active silicon waveguide in tailoring optical properties. PHOTONICS RESEARCH. Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 4.
- Amarasekara B, Ranaweera C, Evans R, Nirmalathas A. Dynamic scheduling algorithm for LTE uplink with smart-metering traffic. TRANSACTIONS ON EMERGING TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGIES. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 10.
- Yu Y, Ranaweera C, Lim C, Guo L, Liu Y, Nirmalathas A, Wong E. Hybrid Fiber-Wireless Network: An Optimization Framework for Survivable Deployment. JOURNAL OF OPTICAL COMMUNICATIONS AND NETWORKING. OSA - Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 6.
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. Indoor infrared optical wireless localization system with background light power estimation capability. OPTICS EXPRESS. Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 19.
- Wang K, Wang Y, Gao S, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. Silicon Integrated Optical Isolator With Dynamic Non-Reciprocity. IEEE PHOTONICS TECHNOLOGY LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 15.
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. Space-Time-Coded High-Speed Reconfigurable Card-to-Card Free-Space Optical Interconnects. JOURNAL OF OPTICAL COMMUNICATIONS AND NETWORKING. OSA - Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Liang T, Wang K, Lim C, Wong E, Song T, Nirmalathas A. Time-Slot Coding Scheme With Adaptive Loading Function for Multiple Access in Indoor Optical Wireless Communications. JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 18.
- Al-Dirini F, Mohammed MA, Hossain F, Nirmalathas A, Skafidas E. All-Graphene Planar Double-Quantum-Dot Resonant Tunneling Diodes. IEEE JOURNAL OF THE ELECTRON DEVICES SOCIETY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 4, Issue 1.
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. Bi-Directional Space-Time Coded Reconfigurable Board-to-Board Free-Space Optical Interconnects. 2016 CONFERENCE ON LASERS AND ELECTRO-OPTICS (CLEO). IEEE. 2016.
Level: 04 Room: 4.4
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83445789
F: +61 3 83447412
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile