Professor Iven Mareels
- Control and instrumentation for irrigation networks (Water information networks, Large scale systems, Real time control, SCADA (Supervisory control and data acquisition))
- Control theory and automation
- Mathematical modelling of engineering systems, particular applications in power systems and water distribution systems
- Signal processing and data modelling, with application in medical imaging (MRI) and EEG/ECG analyses
- Systems engineering (Biomedical systems engineering)
Redmond Barry Distinguished Professor Iven Mareels obtained the (ir) Masters of Electromechanical Engineering from Gent University Belgium in 1982 and the PhD in Systems Engineering from the Australian National University, Canberra, Australia in 1987. Since 1996, he is a Professor of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, the University of Melbourne. In June 2007, he became Dean of the Melbourne School of Engineering.
Previously he was a Reader at the Australian National University (1990-1996), a lecturer at the University of Newcastle (1988-1990) and the University of Gent (1986-1988).
Prof Mareels received the 2017 Harold Chestnut Control Engineering Textbook Prize, for Feedback and Control for Everyone; the W.H. Kwon Award for Engineering Education (2013); the inaugural Grand Challenges Award from Taylor's University, Malaysia (2013); a Clunies Ross Medal, Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (2008) for his work on Smart Irrigation Systems; the inaugural Vice-Chancellors Knowledge Transfer Excellence award from the University of Melbourne (2007), for his work in large scale irrigation systems with Rubicon Systems Australia. He was named twice IEEE CSS Distinguished Lecturer (2005-2006) and (2016-2017). In 1994 he received the Vice-Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching from the Australian National University.
He is a Fellow of the International Federation of Automatic Control, of the Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (USA), and of the Institute of Engineers Australia. He is a Foreign Fellow of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts.
In 2013 Professor Mareels, was named a Commander in the Order of the Crown of Belgium for meritorious services in engineering and science. In 2003 he received the Centenary Medal, for services to engineering education.
Until June 2012 he was Vice-Chair of the Asian Control Association, and a member of the organising committee for the Asian Control Conference. He is on the steering committee for the Mathematical Theory in Networks and Systems conference. Over the period Jan 2003-Dec 2005 he was a member of the Board of Governors of the Control Systems Society IEEE. He is registered with the Institute of Engineers Australia as a professional engineer. He is a member of the National Committee for Automation, Control and Instrumentation (Australia). From June 2008 till Sep 2014 he is Chair of the Technical Board of the International Federation of Automatic Control and ex-officio Vice-President. He was co-editor in chief for Systems & Control Letters from 1997 to 2007.
He has extensive experience in consulting for both industry and government. He has strong interests in education. He has taught a broad range of subjects in both mechanical and electrical engineering curricula. He was one of the developers of the Bachelor of Engineering at the Australian National University and one of the architects of the new 3+2 Master of Engineering education at Melbourne. His research interests are in large scale systems, which he studies using techniques from nonlinear control theory and dynamical systems theory, as well as adaptive and learning control methods. At present his research is focused the modelling and control of water distribution systems, the electrical grid and the brain (in particular the epileptic brain).
Iven Mareels has published widely, one general book about systems engineering, four research monographs, in excess of 130 journal publications and 250 conference publications. He has supervised to completion 35 PhD students and is currently supervising 5 PhD students and 1 MPhil student. He is also co-inventor of a family of 23 international patents related to autonomous water distribution systems.
- Fong J, Tan Y, Crocher V, Oetomo D, Mareels I. Dual-loop iterative optimal control for the finite horizon LQR problem with unknown dynamics. Systems and Control Letters. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 111.
- Cheng X, Tan Y, Mareels I. On robustness analysis of linear vibrational control systems. Automatica. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 87.
- Lee T, Tan Y, Mareels I. Analyzing the Stability of Switched Systems Using Common Zeroing-Output Systems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATIC CONTROL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 10.
- Chen Q, Tan Y, Yang Q, Li J, Mareels I. Centralized control implementation using distributed observer for Meglev systems. Chinese Control Conference, CCC. 2017.
- Chen Q, Tan Y, Li J, Mareels I. Decentralized PID Control Design for Magnetic Levitation Systems Using Extremum Seeking. IEEE Access. 2017.
- Chen Q, Tan Y, Li G, Li J, Mareels I. Design of double-sided linear permanent magnet eddy current braking system. Progress In Electromagnetics Research M. 2017, Vol. 61.
- Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Mareels I. EMU: A transparent 3D robotic manipulandum for upper-limb rehabilitation. IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics. 2017.
- Zhou S-H, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Freeman C, Burdet E, Mareels I. Modeling of Endpoint Feedback Learning Implemented Through Point-to-Point Learning Control. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 5.
- Li X, Tan Y, Fu J, Mareels I. On V-shaped flight formation of bird flocks with visual communication constraints. IEEE International Conference on Control and Automation, ICCA. 2017.
- Kolluri RR, Mareels I, Alpcan T, Brazil M, De Hoog J, Thomas D. Power Sharing in Angle Droop Controlled Microgrids. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 32, Issue 6.
- O'Sullivan-Greene E, Kuhlmann L, Nurse E, Freestone D, Grayden D, Cook M, Burkitt A, Mareels I. Probing to Observe Neural Dynamics Investigated with Networked Kuramoto Oscillators. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF NEURAL SYSTEMS. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 27, Issue 1.
- Masseroni D, Uddin J, Tyrrell R, Mareels I, Gandolfi C, Facchi A. Towards a smart automated surface irrigation management in rice-growing areas in Italy. JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING. 2017, Vol. 48, Issue 1.
- Premaratne U, Halgamuge S, Mareels I. Traffic Reduction in Packet Switched Networked Control Systems Using Deadband Error Modulation. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATIC CONTROL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 8.
- De Hoog J, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. A Market Mechanism for Electric Vehicle Charging Under Network Constraints. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 2.
- Van Lith M, Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Mareels I, Oetomo D. Calibration Free Upper Limb Joint Motion Estimation Algorithm with Wearable Sensors. 14th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV). IEEE. 2016.
University of Melbourne
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile