Associate Professor Tansu Alpcan
- Decision making (game theory, control, optimisation) for security and resource allocation in networked, communication and energy systems. (power systems, energy markets, risk management, game theory and mechanism design, network security, resources allocation)
Tansu Alpcan received the B.S. degree in electrical engineering from Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey in 1998. He received the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical and computer engineering from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) in 2001 and 2006, respectively.
His research involves applications of distributed decision making, game theory, communicaton and control to various security and resource allocation problems in networked and energy systems. He has received Fulbright scholarship in 1999 and best student paper award in IEEE Conf. on Control Applications in 2003. Tansu Alpcan has received Robert T. Chien Research Award from the UIUC Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Ross J. Martin Research Award from the UIUC College of Engineering in 2006.
He was an associate editor for IEEE Conference on Control Applications (CCA) in 2005 and has been TPC member of several conferences including IEEE Infocom 2007-2009. He was the co-chair of the workshop on Game Theory in Communication Networks (GameComm) in 2008, publicity chair of GameNets 2009 and GameSec 2012, co-chair of RAWNET 2012, and program chair of NetGCoop 2012. He is steering board member Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec) and was the general chair of the inaugural edition in 2010. He chaired the IEEE ComSoc MMTC Interest Group on Media Processing and Communications Security (SecIG) between 2010-2012. He was co-chair of the Communication and Information Systems Security Symposium in IEEE International Conference on Communications ICC in 2013. Tansu Alpcan has received the best paper award in 2010 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Communications (ICC), Comm. and Inf. Sys. Security Symposium.
He has been a member of IEEE since 1998 and has become a Senior Member in 2013. He is the (co-)author of more than 100 journal and conference articles as well as the book "Network Security: A Decision and Game Theoretic Appraoch" published by Cambridge University Press (CUP). He co-edited the book "Mechanisms and Games for Dynamic Spectrum Allocation" published by CUP in 2014.
He has worked as a senior research scientist in Deutsche Telekom Laboratories, Berlin, Germany, between 2006 and 2009, and as assistant professor (Juniorprofessur) in Technical University Berlin from 2009 until 2011 while continuing his affiliation with the Deutsche Telekom Laboratories. Tansu Alpcan has joined the Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne, Australia in October 2011, where he continues to work as Associate Professor and Reader.
- Lin T, Alpcan T, Hinton K. A Game-Theoretic Analysis of Energy Efficiency and Performance for Cloud Computing in Communication Networks. IEEE SYSTEMS JOURNAL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 2.
- Panaousis E, Karapistoli E, Elsemary H, Alpcan T, Khuzani MHR, Economides AA. Game theoretic path selection to support security in device-to-device communications. AD HOC NETWORKS. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 56.
- Sanguinetti L, Alpcan T, Basar T, Bennis M, Berry RA, Huang J, Saad W. Guest Editorial Game Theory for Networks, Part I. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 2.
- Sanguinetti L, Alpcan T, Basar T, Bennis M, Berry RA, Huang J, Saad W. Guest Editorial Game Theory for Networks, Part II. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 3.
- Masoumzadeh A, Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Chattopadhyay D. Impact of Optimal Storage Allocation on Price Volatility in Energy-only Electricity Markets. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017.
- Sarikaya Y, Inaltekin H, Alpcan T, Evans J. Stability and Dynamic Control of Underlay Mobile Edge Networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017.
- Han Y, Chan J, Alpcan T, Leckie C. Using Virtual Machine Allocation Policies to Defend against Co-Resident Attacks in Cloud Computing. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON DEPENDABLE AND SECURE COMPUTING. IEEE Computer Society. 2017, Vol. 14, Issue 1.
- Han Y, Alpcan T, Chan J, Leckie C, Rubinstein B. A Game Theoretical Approach to Defend Against Co-Resident Attacks in Cloud Computing: Preventing Co-Residence Using Semi-Supervised Learning. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION FORENSICS AND SECURITY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 3.
- De Hoog J, Alpcan T, Brazil M, Thomas D, Mareels I. A Market Mechanism for Electric Vehicle Charging Under Network Constraints. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 7, Issue 2.
- Jazaeri J, Alpcan T, Cordon R, Brandao M, Hoban T, Seeling C. Baseline Methodologies for Small Scale Residential Demand Response. 2016 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia (ISGT-Asia). IEEE. 2016.
- Chorppath AK, Alpcan T, Boche H. Bayesian Mechanisms and Detection Methods for Wireless Network with Malicious Users. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MOBILE COMPUTING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 15, Issue 10.
- Chattopadhyay D, Alpcan T. Capacity and Energy-Only Markets Under High Renewable Penetration. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 31, Issue 3.
- Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Nair G, Evans R. Convergence Analysis of Quantized Primal-dual Algorithms in Network Utility Maximization Problems. IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. PP, Issue 99.
- Karaca M, Ercetin O, Alpcan T. Entropy-based active learning for wireless scheduling with incomplete channel feedback. COMPUTER NETWORKS. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 104.
- Jalali F, Hinton K, Ayre R, Alpcan T, Tucker R. Fog Computing May Help to Save Energy in Cloud Computing. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 5.
Level: 03 Room: 4
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83448145
F: +61 3 8344 7412
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile