Dr Kerry Hinton
- Energy efficiency of telecommunicaitons networks (Energy efficiency)
- Optical Communications devices, systems and networks (optical communications)
Dr Kerry Hinton is a Principle Research Fellow and Director in the Centre for Energy Efficient Telecommunications in the Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Kerry Hinton received a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences in 1977, a First Class Honours Degree in Electrical Engineering in 1978, a First Class Honours Degree in Mathematical Sciences in 1980, and a Masters in Mathematical Science in 1982. All of these degrees were completed at the University of Adelaide. He commenced study at the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK in 1981, where he was awarded a PhD in Theoretical Physics in 1984. During his time in the UK, Dr. Hinton also undertook part time studies at the Newcastle Upon Tyne Polytechnic where he was awarded a Diploma in Industrial Relations, with distinction, in 1984.
Dr Hinton commenced at the Telstra Research Laboratories (TRL), located in Clayton Victoria, in September 1984 as a member of a multi-disciplinary group researching and providing technical advice to Telstra on optical communications systems. During his 21 years at the Telstra Research Laboratories, Dr. Hinton undertook a diverse range of research which included the following: noise properties of laser diode light in optical communications systems, modelling the noise properties of semiconductor optical amplifiers, the physics and system impact of the behaviour of directly modulated laser diodes, the use of Bragg Fibre Gratings for dispersion compensation in high speed optical communications systems, network architectures for Metropolitan optical networks, advanced modulation techniques for optical communications systems, laser safety and physical layer issues intelligent optical networks.
Dr. Hinton has extensive industrial research background in the engineering issues involved with the development and deployment of new and emerging technologies such as optical communications protocols (including SDH, SONET, OTN and GMPLS), optical network technologies and architectures and all-optical switching. Dr. Hinton was also a member of the Standards Australia Committee SF-19 on laser safety.
Dr. Hinton left the Telstra Research laboratories in December 2005, just before it was shut down by Telstra. He commenced in the ARC Special Centre for Ultra-Broadband Information Networks (CUBIN) in January 2006 as a Senior Research Fellow. During his time in CUBIN he has worked on the feasibility of all-optical technologies for ultra-high capacity networks and the Internet, monitoring and management in optical communications networks and the polarisation mode dispersion in optical communications systems. He has also researched long distance optical broadband access networks, next generation optical technologies for the Internet.
In 2011 Dr. Hinton joined the Centre for Energy Efficient Telecommunications (CEET) where he is researching the energy consumption and energy efficiency of telecommunications networks and the Internet. CEET is a multi-disciplinary research centre that undertakes research into energy efficiency of the Internet, contend delivery networks, Internet equipment and services. CEET is a member of the GreenTouch international consortium which has the goal of providing, in 2015, a technology roadmap to improve the energy efficiency of the Internet by 1000 over the decade 2010 to 2020.
Dr. Hinton has published over 100 papers in conferences, journals and international standards submissions.
- Lin T, Alpcan T, Hinton K. A Game-Theoretic Analysis of Energy Efficiency and Performance for Cloud Computing in Communication Networks. IEEE SYSTEMS JOURNAL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 2.
- Jalali F, Hinton K, Ayre R, Alpcan T, Tucker R. Fog Computing May Help to Save Energy in Cloud Computing. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 5.
- Yan M, Chan C, Li W, I C-L, Bian S, Gygax A, Leckie C, Hinton K, Wong E, Nirmalathas A. Network Energy Consumption Assessment of Conventional Mobile Services and Over-the-Top Instant Messaging Applications. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 12.
- Chan C, Gygax A, Leckie C, Wong E, Nirmalathas A, Hinton K. Telecommunications energy and greenhouse gas emissions management for future network growth. APPLIED ENERGY. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 166.
- Lin T, Alpcan T, Hinton K, Vishwanath A. A Distributed Multi-Objective Optimisation Framework for Energy Efficiency in Mobile Backhaul Networks. 2015 IEEE CONFERENCE ON CONTROL AND APPLICATIONS (CCA 2015). IEEE. 2015.
- Chan C, Li W, Bian S, Chih-Lin I, Gygax A, Leckie C, Yan M, Hinton K. Assessing Network Energy Consumption of Mobile Applications. IEEE COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 53, Issue 11.
- Suessspeck S, Adams P, Hinton K, Walmsley T. Economic, Energy and Carbon Footprint Impact of Australia's National Broadband Network. 18th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis (GTAP). 2015.
- Vishwanath A, Jalali F, Hinton K, Alpcan T, Ayre R, Tucker R. Energy Consumption Comparison of Interactive Cloud-Based and Local Applications. IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 33, Issue 4.
- Hinton K, Jalali F, Matin A. Energy consumption modelling of optical networks. PHOTONIC NETWORK COMMUNICATIONS. Springer. 2015, Vol. 30, Issue 1.
- Li J, Lee K, Chow HK, Hinton K. Low-Power Current-Equalised Optical Transmitter for Below-Threshold-Biasing VCSEL Operation. 41st European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC). IEEE. 2015, Vol. 2015-November.
- Wang P, Hinton K, Farrell P, Gopala Krishna Pillai B. On EDFA and Raman Fiber Amplifier Energy Efficiency. 2015 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DATA SCIENCE AND DATA INTENSIVE SYSTEMS. IEEE. 2015. Editors: Chen JJ, Yang LT.
- Hinton K, Wang P, Farrell P, Pilai BSG. Power consumption of erbium doped fibre amplified links. Proceedings - 4th IEEE International Conference on Big Data and Cloud Computing, BDCloud 2014 with the 7th IEEE International Conference on Social Computing and Networking, SocialCom 2014 and the 4th International Conference on Sustainable Computing and C. 2015.
- Gray C, Ayre R, Hinton K, Tucker R. Power Consumption of IoT Access Network Technologies. 2015 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMMUNICATION WORKSHOP. IEEE. 2015.
- Gopala Krishna Pillai BS, Sedighi B, Guan K, Anthapadmanabhan P, Shieh W, Hinton K, Tucker R. End-to-End Energy Modeling and Analysis of Long-Haul Coherent Transmission Systems. Journal of Lightwave Technology. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2014, Vol. 32, Issue 18.
- Jalali F, Ayre R, Vishwanath A, Hinton K, Alpcan T, Tucker R. Energy consumption of content distribution from nano data centers versus centralized data centers. Performance Evaluation Review. Association for Computing Machinery. 2014, Vol. 42, Issue 3.
Level: 05 Room: 5.17
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83443809
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile