Professor Darryl Veitch
- Atomic clock
- Computer Networking (Traffic Measurement, Clock synchronisation)
- Computer clocks
- Data traffic
- Internet monitoring
Prof Darryl Veitch completed a Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree at Monash University, Australia in 1985. His PhD is in mathematics from the University of Cambridge, England, graduating in 1990. In 1991 he joined the research laboratories of Telstra in Melbourne where he became interested in long-range dependence of tele-traffic.
He spent a year at the CNET of France Telecom in Paris and then held visiting positions at the KTH in Stockholm, INRIA Sophia-Antipolis in France, and Bellcore in New Jersey, before returning to academia at RMIT, Melbourne. In 2000 he then joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne where he directed the EMULab, an Ericsson funded networking research group. He is now a Professorial Research Fellow in the Research Centre for Ultra-Broadband Information Networks (CUBIN) in the EEE department.
His research interests include the statistical and dynamic nature of Internet traffic, parameter estimation problems and queuing theory for traffic processes, the theory and practice of active measurement, network tomography, traffic sampling strategies, and clock synchronisation over the Internet (the RADclock project). In 2005 he Co-Chaired the ACM Internet Measurement Conference and brought it to Melbourne in 2010 as local arrangements chair. He is a Fellow of the IEEE.
RADclock: as good as an atomic clock, but free
- Veitch D, Vijayalayan K. Network timing and the 2015 leap second. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 9631.
- Vijayalayan K, Veitch D. Rot at the Roots? Examining Public Timing Infrastructure. 35th IEEE Annual International Conference on Computer Communications (IEEE INFOCOM). IEEE. 2016, Vol. 2016-July.
- Veitch D, Tune P. Optimal Skampling for the Flow Size Distribution. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION THEORY. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2015, Vol. 61, Issue 6.
- Fontugne R, Abry P, Fukuda K, Borgnat P, Mazel J, Wendt H, Veitch D. RANDOM PROJECTION AND MULTISCALE WAVELET LEADER BASED ANOMALY DETECTION AND ADDRESS IDENTIFICATION IN INTERNET TRAFFIC. 2015 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ACOUSTICS, SPEECH, AND SIGNAL PROCESSING (ICASSP). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2015, Vol. 2015-August.
- Cunha I, Teixeira R, Veitch D, Diot C. DTRACK: A System to Predict and Track Internet Path Changes. IEEE - ACM Transactions on Networking. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2014, Vol. 22, Issue 4.
- Tune P, Veitch D. OFSS: Skampling for the flow size distribution. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference, IMC. 2014.
- Ye T, Veitch D, Johnson S. RA-Inspired Codes for Efficient Information Theoretic Multi-path Network Security. 2014 INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON INFORMATION THEORY AND ITS APPLICATIONS (ISITA). IEEE. 2014.
- Veitch D, Gorst-Rasmussen A, Gefferth A. Why FARIMA models are brittle. Fractals. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2013, Vol. 21, Issue 2.
- Davis M, Villain, Ridoux J, Aorgerie, Veitch D. An IEEE-1588 Compatible RADclock. 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Precision Clock Synchronization for Measurement, Control and Communication. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2012.
- Villain, Davis M, Ridoux J, Veitch D, Normand. Probing the Latencies of Software Timestamping. 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Precision Clock Synchronization for Measurement, Control and Communication. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2012.
- Arya V, Veitch D. Sparsity without the Complexity: Loss Localisation Using Tree Measurements. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing Networking 2012. Springer Verlag. 2012, Vol. 7289.
- Aorgerie, Goncalves, Imbert, Ridoux J, Veitch D. Survey of network metrology platforms. 2012 IEEE/IPSJ 12th International Symposium on Applications and the Internet. IEEE Computer Society. 2012.
- Ridoux J, Veitch D, Broomhead TJ. The Case for Feed-Forward Clock Synchronization. IEEE - ACM Transactions on Networking. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2012, Vol. 20, Issue 1.
- Tune PL, Veitch D. Fisher Information in Flow Size Distribution Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2011, Vol. 57, Issue 10.
- Zhang L, Veitch D. Learning entropy. 10th International IFIP TC 6 Networking Conference (NETWORKING 2011). International Federation for Information Processing. 2011, Vol. 6640.
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83443817
F: +61 3 83443821
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile