Professor Anthony Burkitt
- Computational Neuroscience (Neural plasticity; Epilepsy)
- Medical Bionics (Retinal implants; Cochlear implants)
Professor Anthony Burkitt is the Research Director of Bionic Vision Australia (BVA) and Professor of Engineering at the University of Melbourne.
BVA is a partnership of world-leading Australian research institutions collaborating to develop an advanced retinal prosthesis, or bionic eye, to restore the sense of vision to people with degenerative or inherited retinal disease. The partners of Bionic Vision Australia are the University of Melbourne, the University of New South Wales, the Bionic Ear Institute, the Centre for Eye Research Australia and NICTA.
In December 2009 Bionic Vision Australia (BVA) was awarded $42 million from the Federal Government. Professor David Penington says the grant, provided over four years, will take the team to the point where commercial development of an implant at the back of the eye, responding to wireless transmission of vision, will become a reality.
- Erfanian Saeedi N, Blamey P, Burkitt A, Grayden D. An integrated model of pitch perception incorporating place and temporal pitch codes with application to cochlear implant research.. Hear Res. 2017, Vol. 344.
- Halupka K, Shivdasani M, Cloherty S, Grayden D, Wong Y, Burkitt A, Meffin H. Prediction of cortical responses to simultaneous electrical stimulation of the retina. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2017, Vol. 14, Issue 1.
- O'Sullivan-Greene E, Kuhlmann L, Nurse ES, Freestone DR, Grayden D, Cook M, Burkitt A, Mareels I. Probing to Observe Neural Dynamics Investigated with Networked Kuramoto Oscillators. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF NEURAL SYSTEMS. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 27, Issue 1.
- Zarei Eskikand P, Kameneva T, Ibbotson M, Burkitt A, Grayden D. A Possible Role for End-Stopped V1 Neurons in the Perception of Motion: A Computational Model. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 10.
- Saha S, Greferath U, Vessey K, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Fletcher E. CHANGES IN GANGLION CELLS DURING RETINAL DEGENERATION. NEUROSCIENCE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 329.
- Opie N, John S, Rind G, Ronayne S, Grayden D, Burkitt A, May C, O'Brien T, Oxley T. Chronic impedance spectroscopy of an endovascular stent-electrode array. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2016, Vol. 13, Issue 4.
- Opie N, Rind G, John S, Ronayne S, Grayden D, Burkitt A, May CN, O'Brien T, Oxley T. Feasibility of a chronic, minimally invasive endovascular neural interface. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 2016-October.
- Erfanian Saeedi N, Blamey P, Burkitt A, Grayden D. Learning Pitch with STDP: A Computational Model of Place and Temporal Pitch Perception Using Spiking Neural Networks. PLOS COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 12, Issue 4.
- Oxley T, Opie N, John S, Rind G, Ronayne S, Wheeler TL, Judy JW, McDonald A, Dornom A, Lovell T, Steward C, Garrett D, Moffat B, Lui E, Yassi N, Campbell B, Wong Y, Fox KE, Nurse E, Bennett I, Bauquier S, Liyanage K, Van Der Nagel NR, Perucca P, Ahnood A, Gill K, Yan B, Churilov L, French C, Desmond P, Horne M, Kiers L, Prawer S, Davis S, Burkitt A, Mitchell P, Grayden D, May C, O'Brien T. Minimally invasive endovascular stent-electrode array for high-fidelity, chronic recordings of cortical neural activity. NATURE BIOTECHNOLOGY. Nature Publishing Group. 2016, Vol. 34, Issue 3.
- Kameneva T, Maturana M, Hadjinicolaou AE, Cloherty S, Ibbotson M, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Meffin H. Retinal ganglion cells: mechanisms underlying depolarization block and differential responses to high frequency electrical stimulation of ON and OFF cells. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2016, Vol. 13, Issue 1.
- Wong Y, Halupka K, Kameneva T, Cloherty SL, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Meffin H, Shivdasani M. Spectral distribution of local field potential responses to electrical stimulation of the retina. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2016, Vol. 13, Issue 3.
- Spencer M, Nayagam D, Clarey JC, Paolini A, Meffin H, Burkitt A, Grayden D. Broadband Onset Inhibition Can Suppress Spectral Splatter in the Auditory Brainstem. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2015, Vol. 10, Issue 5.
- Kameneva T, Abramian M, Zarelli D, Nesic D, Burkitt A, Meffin H, Grayden D. Spike history neural response model. JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2015, Vol. 38, Issue 3.
- Kameneva T, Zarelli D, Nesic D, Grayden D, Burkitt A, Meffin H. A comparison of open-loop and closed-loop stimulation strategies to control excitation of retinal ganglion cells. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 14.
- Erfanian Saeedi N, Blamey P, Burkitt A, Grayden D. Application of a pitch perception model to investigate the effect of stimulation field spread on the pitch ranking abilities of cochlear implant recipients. Hearing Research. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 316.
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 90353552
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile