Professor Pierluigi Mancarella
- Business cases for smart grid technologies
- Energy system planning and investment under uncertainty
- Integrated multi-energy systems
- Reliability, risk and resilience of smart energy networks
- Techno-economic modelling of smart energy systems
Pierluigi Mancarella is Chair Professor of Electrical Power Systems at the University of Melbourne, Australia, and Professor of Smart Energy Systems at the University of Manchester, UK. Pierluigi obtained the PhD degree in Power Systems from the Politecnico di Torino, Italy, has been a Research Associate at Imperial College London, UK, and has held visiting research positions at Sintef/NTNU in Norway and NREL in Colorado, as well as visiting professorships at Ecole Centrale de Lille in France and the Universidad de Chile. Pierluigi has been involved in/led, in the last 10 years, some 50 research projects and consultancy and professional activities in the UK, Australia, and internationally, in the area of techno-economics and business cases for smart grid technologies, risk and resilience assessment of future networks, integrated multi-energy systems modelling, and energy infrastructure investment under uncertainty. Pierluigi is author of four books, several book chapters, and of over 200 research papers. He is an Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, IEEE Systems Journal, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, and Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A (guest). Pierluigi is also an IEEE Power and Energy Society Distinguished Lecturer and the past Chair of the Energy Working Group of the IEEE European Public Policy Initiative.
- Dai Y, Chen L, Min Y, Mancarella P, Chen Q, Hao J, Hu K, Xu F. A General Model for Thermal Energy Storage in Combined Heat and Power Dispatch Considering Heat Transfer Constraints. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018.
- Raugei M, Leccisi E, Azzopardi B, Jones C, Gilbert P, Zhang L, Zhou Y, Mander S, Mancarella P. A multi-disciplinary analysis of UK grid mix scenarios with large-scale PV deployment. Energy Policy. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 114.
- Clements D, Mancarella P. Systemic modelling and integrated assessment of asset management strategies and staff constraints on distribution network reliability. ELECTRIC POWER SYSTEMS RESEARCH. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 155.
- Cesena EAM, Good N, Syrri ALA, Mancarella P. Techno-economic and business case assessment of multi-energy microgrids with co-optimization of energy, reserve and reliability services. APPLIED ENERGY. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 210.
- Loukarakis E, Mancarella P. A Sequential Programming Method for Multi-Energy Districts Optimal Power Flow. 2017 IEEE MANCHESTER POWERTECH. IEEE. 2017.
- Graber G, Galdi V, Calderaro V, Mancarella P. A Stochastic Approach to Size EV Charging Stations with Support of Second Life Battery Storage Systems. 2017 IEEE MANCHESTER POWERTECH. IEEE. 2017.
- Saint-Pierre A, Mancarella P. Active Distribution System Management: A Dual-Horizon Scheduling Framework for DSO/TSO Interface Under Uncertainty. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 5.
- Good N, Cesena EAM, Mancarella P, Monti A, Pesch D, Ellis KA. Barriers, Challenges, and Recommendations Related to Development of Energy Positive Neighborhoods and Smart Energy Districts. ENERGY POSITIVE NEIGHBORHOODS AND SMART ENERGY DISTRICTS: METHODS, TOOLS, AND EXPERIENCES FROM THE FIELD. Academic Press. 2017. Editors: Monti A, Pesch D, Ellis KA, Mancarella P.
- Good N, Cesena EAM, Mancarella P. Business Cases. ENERGY POSITIVE NEIGHBORHOODS AND SMART ENERGY DISTRICTS: METHODS, TOOLS, AND EXPERIENCES FROM THE FIELD. Academic Press. 2017. Editors: Monti A, Pesch D, Ellis KA, Mancarella P.
- Haas J, Cebulla F, Cao K, Nowak W, Palma-Behnke R, Rahmann C, Mancarella P. Challenges and trends of energy storage expansion planning for flexibility provision in low-carbon power systems - a review. RENEWABLE & SUSTAINABLE ENERGY REVIEWS. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 80.
- Moriarty J, Mancarella P. Energy management: flexibility, risk and optimization. PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. Royal Society of London. 2017, Vol. 375, Issue 2100.
- Monti A, Pesch D, Ellis KA, Mancarella P. ENERGY POSITIVE NEIGHBORHOODS AND SMART ENERGY DISTRICTS METHODS, TOOLS, AND EXPERIENCES FROM THE FIELD Introduction. ENERGY POSITIVE NEIGHBORHOODS AND SMART ENERGY DISTRICTS: METHODS, TOOLS, AND EXPERIENCES FROM THE FIELD. Academic Press. 2017. Editors: Monti A, Ellis KA, Mancarella P.
- Good N, Cesena EAM, Mancarella P. Energy Positivity and Flexibility in Districts. ENERGY POSITIVE NEIGHBORHOODS AND SMART ENERGY DISTRICTS: METHODS, TOOLS, AND EXPERIENCES FROM THE FIELD. Academic Press. 2017. Editors: Monti A, Pesch D, Ellis KA, Mancarella P.
- Raugei M, Sgouridis S, Murphy D, Fthenakis V, Frischknecht R, Breyer C, Bardi U, Barnhart C, Buckley A, Carbajales-Dale M, Csala D, De Wild-Scholten M, Heath G, Jaeger-Waldau A, Jones C, Keller A, Leccisi E, Mancarella P, Pearsall N, Siegel A, Sinke W, Stolz P. Energy Return on Energy Invested (ERoEI) for photovoltaic solar systems in regions of moderate insolation: A comprehensive response. ENERGY POLICY. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 102.
- Zhang L, Chapman N, Good N, Mancarella P. Exploiting Electric Heat Pump Flexibility for Renewable Generation Matching. 2017 IEEE MANCHESTER POWERTECH. IEEE. 2017.
Level: 02 Room: 210
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 8344 8967
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile