Professor Pierluigi Mancarella
- Business cases for smart grid technologies
- Energy system planning and investment under uncertainty
- Integrated multi-energy systems
- Reliability, risk and resilience of smart energy networks
- Techno-economic modelling of smart energy systems
Pierluigi Mancarella is Chair Professor of Electrical Power Systems at the University of Melbourne, Australia, and Professor of Smart Energy Systems at the University of Manchester, UK. Pierluigi obtained the PhD degree in Power Systems from the Politecnico di Torino, Italy, has been a Research Associate at Imperial College London, UK, and has held visiting research positions at Sintef/NTNU in Norway and NREL in Colorado, as well as visiting professorships at Ecole Centrale de Lille in France and the Universidad de Chile. Pierluigi has been involved in/led, in the last 10 years, some 50 research projects and consultancy and professional activities in the UK, Australia, and internationally, in the area of techno-economics and business cases for smart grid technologies, risk and resilience assessment of future networks, integrated multi-energy systems modelling, and energy infrastructure investment under uncertainty. Pierluigi is author of four books, several book chapters, and of over 200 research papers. He is an Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, IEEE Systems Journal, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, and Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A (guest). Pierluigi is also an IEEE Power and Energy Society Distinguished Lecturer and the past Chair of the Energy Working Group of the IEEE European Public Policy Initiative.
- Clements D, Mancarella P. Systemic modelling and integrated assessment of asset management strategies and staff constraints on distribution network reliability. Electric Power Systems Research. 2018, Vol. 155.
- Trakas DN, Hatziargyriou ND, Panteli M, Mancarella P. A severity risk index for high impact low probability events in transmission systems due to extreme weather. IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe. 2017, Vol. Part F126485.
- Saint-Pierre A, Mancarella P. Active Distribution System Management: A Dual-Horizon Scheduling Framework for DSO/TSO Interface Under Uncertainty. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 5.
- Haas J, Cebulla F, Cao K, Nowak W, Palma-Behnke R, Rahmann C, Mancarella P. Challenges and trends of energy storage expansion planning for flexibility provision in low-carbon power systems – a review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 80.
- Moriarty J, Mancarella P. Energy management: flexibility, risk and optimization. PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. Royal Society of London. 2017, Vol. 375, Issue 2100.
- Raugei M, Sgouridis S, Murphy D, Fthenakis V, Frischknecht R, Breyer C, Bardi U, Barnhart C, Buckley A, Carbajales-Dale M, Csala D, De Wild-Scholten M, Heath G, Jaeger-Waldau A, Jones C, Keller A, Leccisi E, Mancarella P, Pearsall N, Siegel A, Sinke W, Stolz P. Energy Return on Energy Invested (ERoEI) for photovoltaic solar systems in regions of moderate insolation: A comprehensive response. ENERGY POLICY. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 102.
- Good N, Mancarella P. Flexibility in multi-energy communities with electrical and thermal storage: A stochastic, robust approach for multi-service demand response. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017.
- Dickinson RR, Lymperopoulos N, Le Duigou A, Lucchese P, Mansilla C, Tlili O, Samsatli NJ, Samsatli S, Weeda M, Thomas D, Mancarella P, Dolci F, Weidner E. Fower-to-hydrogen and hydrogen-to-X pathways: Opportunities for next generation energy systems. International Conference on the European Energy Market, EEM. 2017.
- Fu G, Wilkinson S, Dawson RJ, Fowler HJ, Kilsby C, Panteli M, Mancarella P. Integrated Approach to Assess the Resilience of Future Electricity Infrastructure Networks to Climate Hazards. IEEE Systems Journal. 2017.
- Panteli M, Mancarella P. Modeling and evaluating the resilience of critical electrical power infrastructure to extreme weather events. IEEE Systems Journal. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 3.
- Moreno R, Street A, Arroyo JM, Mancarella P. Planning low-carbon electricity systems under uncertainty considering operational flexibility and smart grid technologies. PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. Royal Society of London. 2017, Vol. 375, Issue 2100.
- Panteli M, Pickering C, Wilkinson S, Dawson R, Mancarella P. Power System Resilience to Extreme Weather: Fragility Modeling, Probabilistic Impact Assessment, and Adaptation Measures. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 32, Issue 5.
- Panteli M, Trakas DN, Mancarella P, Hatziargyriou ND. Power Systems Resilience Assessment: Hardening and Smart Operational Enhancement Strategies. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 105, Issue 7.
- Wang H, Good N, Mancarella P, Lintern K. PV-battery community energy systems: Economic, energy independence and network deferral analysis. International Conference on the European Energy Market, EEM. 2017.
- Good N, Ellis KA, Mancarella P. Review and classification of barriers and enablers of demand response in the smart grid. RENEWABLE & SUSTAINABLE ENERGY REVIEWS. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 72.
Level: 02 Room: 210
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 8344 8967
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile